DIY Unisex Bathrobe Using Simplicity 8267

Not gonna lie, I have been procrastinating on making my husband a robe. He doesn’t ask me to make him much, but he asked for this. Chris, my husband, even picked out the fabric he wanted me to use so I had the materials to work on this back in February. The problem I have is that I am critical of the clothes I sew for myself and even more so for someone else. I put love, thought, and time into everything I make so if it doesn’t come out the way I envisioned for someone else I panic and want to hide it at the bottom of my drawer.

I am working through those issues the only way I know how to, by continuing to sew small items in between big projects. Now it’s not like a robe is hard. It’s actually one of the easiest projects I get to make. It’s just the let down that stalls me. Well, guess what not today. The second half of this crazy year is going to be what I make of it. And I’m just plain tired of making excuses.

So another one bites the dust! I finished his robe! Chris wanted one because he says that I like to keep it Arctic cold in the apartment. And I do. My philosophy is that it is easier and more appropriate to put on more layers than to take them off. We like to open the blinds to let light in so I like to avoid indecent exposure at all costs, hehe.

I finished it just in time because we have had a heat advisory in Arizona for the past two weeks. The highest temp was 117. Yep, not a typo. That means I adjusted the thermostat and closed the blackout curtains and told my husband “Winter is coming”. Now that he has his robe, I can keep the house cold and not have to hear about it from him. Okay, let’s get into the details of making a Unisex Bathrobe. 

Pattern Description: Misses, Men’s and Teens’ Robe (this pattern is out of print so a good alternative is McCalls 6236)

Pattern Size Chosen: XL and graded up to XXL

View: B

Fabric Choice: Lux Fleece and Minky fleece (You can find options like that here / here or here)

Sewing Tools Needed That Aren’t Mentioned: 

  • Walking Foot
  • Sewing needle 75/11 HS, 70/10 H, 80/12 H (I used the 75/11 HS because that’s what I had in my stash)
  • Hand sewing needle and thread or when your bobbin gets low, use the remainder of the thread to hand sew the garment

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? I think it did for the most part. It’s hard to see the pockets in the original image, but I followed the instructions so I assume that it is correct.

Are the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked how the sleeves looked and the collar. I was not a fan of the pockets because of having to flip the facing (plaid fabric) back and forth to basically hide the unfinished edge. I also didn’t like that they didn’t have me turn in the undercollar so that the unfinished edge wasn’t visible. 

fleece_pocket

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: My husband’s measurements were for an XXL, but the pattern only went up to an XL so I had to measure around the pattern pieces to calculate how much to add to the chest, which ended basically making the XL line my new seam line. And then added on the seam allowance. I didn’t add on to the bottom because I felt the height was perfect for him. Plus he liked the height and didn’t want me to change it. The pockets were a little droopy so I tacked the facing down in two places. 

Would you sew it again? Maybe, just not any time soon. 

How long did it take? 2 days. 

Tips to avoid it taking as long:

  • Use large pins so that you can see your markings. I used chalk to mark the small and large dots for the pockets and they were erased because of the fleece. The fabric was like a magic eraser. Since I didn’t use big enough pins to see my markings that caused the pocket to be a little close to the seam so I had to sew the side seam at 3/8 instead of 5/8 inches. It worked out because my husband liked the extra room around his belly.
  • Shave down the seam allowance at the sleeve and pockets if you use medium or high pile fur or fleece.  It will make it easier to see that the thread is passing through the fabric. There were a few times that I had to redo my stitching because the thread was only tangled in the fur and not the backing of the fabric. I found that out when I tried to tighten the stitches. 
  • If you’re going to use plaid for any part of the garment here’s my trick to get it to be even.Cut out the pieces one at a time
    • Use the grainline on the pattern as a guide to make sure your plaid is straight
    • Look at the pattern on the fabric and pick the one you want to use to line up again the grain. 
    • Align the bottom of the pattern piece with a horizontal line in the fabric and
    • Mirror that for the opposite side of the garment.
    • Don’t expect perfection at the top of the collar because you just went through to align the front.
    • You can apply this same method to the pocket and sleeve facing. 

 

fleece_robe_unfinished

Yes JJ decided photo bomb the photoshoot so we had some fun and decided to show you guys what life would really be like when my husband wears his robe.

Until next time…

XOXOlips_print

2 thoughts on “DIY Unisex Bathrobe Using Simplicity 8267

Comments are closed.